The Fourth of July is just around the corner, and one of the more popular activities is to buy and light fireworks.
In Arizona, buying fireworks at tents and grocery stores isn’t a problem. Anything purchased at those stands is legal. However, all aerial fireworks are considered illegal.
The problem is that lighting those fireworks could be illegal in many Valley cities.
“The state allows the sale of fireworks, but it’s the cities that prohibit the use,” said Brian Scholl, a fire inspector with the Phoenix Fire Department. “Most cities say no because they can be very dangerous and start fires.”
If police catch someone shooting fireworks when or where they aren’t supposed to, they could be fined up to $2,500 or face six months in jail.
Valley cities with complete firework bans are Phoenix, Glendale, Scottsdale, Peoria, Avondale and Surprise.
Chandler and Tempe allow use of “novelty” fireworks, which includes smoke bombs and sparklers.
Mesa allows residents to light legal fireworks as long as it’s on private property from June 28 to July 4.
Gilbert also allows the use of legal fireworks on private property from July 3 to July 5.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food