The Fourth of July is just around the corner, and one of the more popular activities is to buy and light fireworks.
In Arizona, buying fireworks at tents and grocery stores isn’t a problem. Anything purchased at those stands is legal. However, all aerial fireworks are considered illegal.
The problem is that lighting those fireworks could be illegal in many Valley cities.
“The state allows the sale of fireworks, but it’s the cities that prohibit the use,” said Brian Scholl, a fire inspector with the Phoenix Fire Department. “Most cities say no because they can be very dangerous and start fires.”
If police catch someone shooting fireworks when or where they aren’t supposed to, they could be fined up to $2,500 or face six months in jail.
Valley cities with complete firework bans are Phoenix, Glendale, Scottsdale, Peoria, Avondale and Surprise.
Chandler and Tempe allow use of “novelty” fireworks, which includes smoke bombs and sparklers.
Mesa allows residents to light legal fireworks as long as it’s on private property from June 28 to July 4.
Gilbert also allows the use of legal fireworks on private property from July 3 to July 5.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona