PHOENIX – A company is suing Maricopa county for refusing to act on its request for a license.
The White Mountain Health Center wants to open a medical marijuana dispensary in an unincorporated part of Maricopa County in Sun City that requires a county zoning approval. The center said the county is stalling approving its application in order to prevent it from seeking a state operating license.
“Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery has taken the position that any sort of zoning ordinance approval, or stating that there is a zoning ordinance applicable, is in violation of the Federal Controlled Substance Act and, as such, he won’t do it,” said attorney Ryan Hurley.
Montgomery advised the County Board of Supervisors not to get involved in the medical marijuana program. He felt that approving a marijuana dispensary on county land could make county employees accomplices to a federal crime because marijuana is not an approved drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act.
Montgomery, the Arizona Department Of Health Services, and DHS Director Will Humble are named as co-defendents in the lawsuit.
The center said the Medical Marijuana Act approved by Arizona voters allows cities to impose “reasonable” zoning restrictions for dispensaries.
Hurley said that Maricopa County could see more lawsuits in the future.
“Some cities and counties have passed zoning restrictions that are overly restrictive or very difficult to meet,” he said. “In which case, a lot of applicants are unable to find a location that meets the requirements are will be approved to make an application.”
Hurley said it’s difficult to say whether this lawsuit, or any others like it, will be successful in court.
Hurley is an expert on the medical marijuana law, but is not involved in this case and not representing either side.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon