PHOENIX – A company is suing Maricopa county for refusing to act on its request for a license.
The White Mountain Health Center wants to open a medical marijuana dispensary in an unincorporated part of Maricopa County in Sun City that requires a county zoning approval. The center said the county is stalling approving its application in order to prevent it from seeking a state operating license.
“Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery has taken the position that any sort of zoning ordinance approval, or stating that there is a zoning ordinance applicable, is in violation of the Federal Controlled Substance Act and, as such, he won’t do it,” said attorney Ryan Hurley.
Montgomery advised the County Board of Supervisors not to get involved in the medical marijuana program. He felt that approving a marijuana dispensary on county land could make county employees accomplices to a federal crime because marijuana is not an approved drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act.
Montgomery, the Arizona Department Of Health Services, and DHS Director Will Humble are named as co-defendents in the lawsuit.
The center said the Medical Marijuana Act approved by Arizona voters allows cities to impose “reasonable” zoning restrictions for dispensaries.
Hurley said that Maricopa County could see more lawsuits in the future.
“Some cities and counties have passed zoning restrictions that are overly restrictive or very difficult to meet,” he said. “In which case, a lot of applicants are unable to find a location that meets the requirements are will be approved to make an application.”
Hurley said it’s difficult to say whether this lawsuit, or any others like it, will be successful in court.
Hurley is an expert on the medical marijuana law, but is not involved in this case and not representing either side.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains