WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — The Navajo Nation has announced that Frank Chee
Willeto, a Navajo Code Talker and former Navajo Nation vice president, has died.
He was 87.
Officials said Willeto died Saturday in his home in Pueblo Pintado, N.M.
The Crownpoint, N.M.-born Willeto enlisted with the U.S. Marines 6th Division
in 1944, where he completed Code Talker training classes. He then served in the
Pacific Theater in Saipan and Okinawa.
After World War II, he returned to the reservation and began working with the
Bureau of Indian Affairs roads department from 1946 to 1974.
He also served as vice president of the Navajo Nation under the Milton
Willeto received the Congressional Silver Medal in 2001 for his role as a Code Talker.
Funeral services are pending.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick