MESA, Ariz. — Since 2007, Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport has made a name for itself by flying to small cities including Minot, N.D. and Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Now the airport is looking to add flights to larger cities as Allegiant and Spirit Airlines expand with the airport.
“We see in the next 10 years that Gateway Airport will accommodate about 10 percent of the Valley’s air traffic,” said airport spokesman Brian Sexton.
“We’re not here to compete with Sky Harbor. We’re here to complement them and give Valley air travelers a choice.”
Mesa Gateway is one of the fastest-growing airports in the country, according to Sexton. The airport already has service to a few larger cities including Denver, Dallas, Las Vegas, Oakland, Calif., and Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Sexton said the airport is looking to expand its reach to the eastern United States and parts of Southern California.
The airport recently announced plans for a $1.4 billion expansion that will include 60 gates.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl