PHOENIX — Supporters of a proposed Arizona ballot initiative for a 1-cent sales tax increase say they’ve filed more than 290,000 signatures to put the measure on the November ballot.
The so-called Quality Education and Jobs campaign said Monday that it obtained voter signatures from all 15 Arizona counties.
A minimum of 172,809 valid signatures are required by the July 5 deadline.
Money raised by the 1-cent sales tax increase would be directed to education, health care and other state services.
The increase would take effect after a previously approved temporary increase expires in mid-2013.
Arizona voters in May 2010 overwhelmingly approved the temporary increase proposed by Gov. Jan Brewer, who said it was needed to help the state cope with revenue losses during the Great Recession.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon