PHOENIX — Supporters of a proposed Arizona ballot initiative for a 1-cent sales tax increase say they’ve filed more than 290,000 signatures to put the measure on the November ballot.
The so-called Quality Education and Jobs campaign said Monday that it obtained voter signatures from all 15 Arizona counties.
A minimum of 172,809 valid signatures are required by the July 5 deadline.
Money raised by the 1-cent sales tax increase would be directed to education, health care and other state services.
The increase would take effect after a previously approved temporary increase expires in mid-2013.
Arizona voters in May 2010 overwhelmingly approved the temporary increase proposed by Gov. Jan Brewer, who said it was needed to help the state cope with revenue losses during the Great Recession.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night