PHOENIX — The Phoenix City Council is continuing to talk about an overhaul of the city’s pension system.
Some council members are frustrated the issue won’t go on the ballot in November. Others want to wait until the outcome of a lawsuit. School teachers sued the state over enacted pension reforms.
Mayor Greg Stanton said the city shouldn’t rush the reforms because it could get sued, like the state.
“Obviously, the state legislature tried to do pension reform and it was found to be unconstitutional,” said Stanton. “It was smart for the city to find out what was constitutional from the state reform before we implement our own. Otherwise, we don’t want to pass a law that was going to be unconstitutional. That’s not smart.”
Stanton said the city is looking at significant pension contributions to city employees.
“We’re looking at even a 401(a)-type system,” said Stanton. “Everything should be on the table. The city council will be voting in the early fall, and it’ll be on the ballot in March. Any changes will be implemented July 1 of next year.”
Stanton said the reforms are needed. “Woe be Phoenix if we adopt a policy that makes us uncompetitive and we lose our most talented people,” Stanton said.
“I don’t think anybody would want that to occur either.”
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this story
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food