PHOENIX — The Phoenix City Council is continuing to talk about an overhaul of the city’s pension system.
Some council members are frustrated the issue won’t go on the ballot in November. Others want to wait until the outcome of a lawsuit. School teachers sued the state over enacted pension reforms.
Mayor Greg Stanton said the city shouldn’t rush the reforms because it could get sued, like the state.
“Obviously, the state legislature tried to do pension reform and it was found to be unconstitutional,” said Stanton. “It was smart for the city to find out what was constitutional from the state reform before we implement our own. Otherwise, we don’t want to pass a law that was going to be unconstitutional. That’s not smart.”
Stanton said the city is looking at significant pension contributions to city employees.
“We’re looking at even a 401(a)-type system,” said Stanton. “Everything should be on the table. The city council will be voting in the early fall, and it’ll be on the ballot in March. Any changes will be implemented July 1 of next year.”
Stanton said the reforms are needed. “Woe be Phoenix if we adopt a policy that makes us uncompetitive and we lose our most talented people,” Stanton said.
“I don’t think anybody would want that to occur either.”
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this story
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.