Over 235,000 Arizona families will be getting a check for about $120 this summer thanks to the Affordable Care Act’s 80/20 rule.
The 80/20 rule requires insurance companies to spend at least 80 percent of consumers’ premium dollars on medical care. If they don’t, they have to reimburse the difference.
“The Affordable Care Act requires insurance companies to spend 80 percent of what it receives in the way of premiums for actual claim,” said Arizona State University law professor James G. Hodge Jr. “When you have a situation where an insurance company is charged more in premiums than it is disbursed in claims, the [act] requires a refund.”
The rule also states how much of consumers’s claims can be used by insurance companies on non-health care costs. Hodges said the rebates could continue on for years.
“You will see a lot of insurance companies — if this provision stays in place following the Supreme Court’s review — making these adjustments so they don’t have to engage in this type of systemic refund across a large pool,” he said. “Ultimately, it could be an annual reimbursement made to consumers.”
Insurance companies are required to provide the rebates no later than Aug. 1.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.