PHOENIX — A Phoenix school district and Maricopa County officials have
agreed to end a joint teacher-incentive program.
The Arizona Republic reported the county Board of
Supervisors voted Wednesday to stop using federal funds to reward and train
educators in the Phoenix Union High School District.
The county has more than $51 million from a federal Teacher Incentive Fund for
evaluating and rewarding teachers and principals in all six districts it
oversees. The district’s portion will go back to the federal government.
District Superintendent Kent Scribner said teachers in his district want
incentives for departments or groups rather than individual incentives, which
the county’s program requires.
Scribner said the district will apply for a U.S. Department of Education Race
to the Top grant.
The agreement will end Aug. 5.
Information from: The Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night