PHOENIX — For over two years, hundreds upon hundreds of members of the Latino community have come together in prayer at the State Capitol.
Every Sunday evening, a committed group has held vigil, praying for a favorable outcome as SB 1070 makes its way through the legislative process.
“Through prayer and by bringing the community in prayer, it gave people strength to come forward and organize in the community,” said Petra Falcon of Promise Arizona.
The vigils started before the controversial bill was signed into law in April 2010.
“SB 1070 was moved forward to the governor’s desk,” said Falcon. “She had seven to eight days to sign it and our community decided we needed to take action.”
For Promise Arizona, its faith and dedication proved fruitless. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill, but with the stroke of her pen the group became even more determined to organize.
“In the last two years, we have seen how our community has come together, we have seen people’s lives transformed, we have seen people engaged more than ever before,” said Falcon.
Promise Arizona said it has helped register over 10,000 Latino voters.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development