PHOENIX — For over two years, hundreds upon hundreds of members of the Latino community have come together in prayer at the State Capitol.
Every Sunday evening, a committed group has held vigil, praying for a favorable outcome as SB 1070 makes its way through the legislative process.
“Through prayer and by bringing the community in prayer, it gave people strength to come forward and organize in the community,” said Petra Falcon of Promise Arizona.
The vigils started before the controversial bill was signed into law in April 2010.
“SB 1070 was moved forward to the governor’s desk,” said Falcon. “She had seven to eight days to sign it and our community decided we needed to take action.”
For Promise Arizona, its faith and dedication proved fruitless. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill, but with the stroke of her pen the group became even more determined to organize.
“In the last two years, we have seen how our community has come together, we have seen people’s lives transformed, we have seen people engaged more than ever before,” said Falcon.
Promise Arizona said it has helped register over 10,000 Latino voters.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona