PHOENIX — For over two years, hundreds upon hundreds of members of the Latino community have come together in prayer at the State Capitol.
Every Sunday evening, a committed group has held vigil, praying for a favorable outcome as SB 1070 makes its way through the legislative process.
“Through prayer and by bringing the community in prayer, it gave people strength to come forward and organize in the community,” said Petra Falcon of Promise Arizona.
The vigils started before the controversial bill was signed into law in April 2010.
“SB 1070 was moved forward to the governor’s desk,” said Falcon. “She had seven to eight days to sign it and our community decided we needed to take action.”
For Promise Arizona, its faith and dedication proved fruitless. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill, but with the stroke of her pen the group became even more determined to organize.
“In the last two years, we have seen how our community has come together, we have seen people’s lives transformed, we have seen people engaged more than ever before,” said Falcon.
Promise Arizona said it has helped register over 10,000 Latino voters.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food