PHOENIX — Construction is under way on a new Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office headquarters at a Phoenix site that once was a cemetery.
The county is building a $92-million, five-story sheriff’s headquarters at Sixth Avenue and Jefferson Street. Maricopa County spokeswoman Cari Gerchick said workers preparing the site had a surprise in April — they uncovered part of an old graveyard with 15 burial pits.
“Of those 15 burial pits that indicated that coffins had been in them, we actually found the partial remains of 10 coffins,” said Gerchick. “We found partial skeletal remains of eight people, including five adults and three children. We found no full skeletons.”
Also found in the cemetery was a woman’s hair clip that dates to the 1800s and a handle from a casket.
Gerchick said it’s not known what kind of metal the handle was make of, but archaeologists believe the handle indicates that the casket was expensive, and that whoever was buried in it had been wealthy.
“The remains of the coffins, the remains of the bones, and the few personal artifacts were turned over to our archaeological firm so that they can do the proper studies and work with the Arizona State Museum to determine the eventual resting place of the bones,” said Gerchick.
Archaeologists should finish their examinations in about five months.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments