SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — With a one-month supply of homes for sale in the Valley, it’s definitely a seller’s market.
First-time homebuyers are getting a rude awakening.
“They’re getting crushed,” said Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner. “They’re not experienced homebuyers. They’re entering thinking it’s still actually a buyer’s market, and you can offer 10 or 20 percent less, and wait a couple of days and the seller will get back to you. That’s far from the case right now.”
Wegner said that first-timers are getting beat out by investors and other cash buyers. For first-time homebuyers, this is a learning experience.
“What normally happens with first-time homebuyers is they make two or three offers, and they get rejected because they offer less than the asking price,” said Wegner.
“Then they start offering the asking price. On about their 10th house, they realize they have to offer at least 10 percent more than the asking price, and then they get their house. They get a couple of black eyes until they figure out the game and end up buying a house.”
Wegner’s advice to first-time buyers is to be persistent.
“Look at lots of houses, make offers fast, and be realistic,” he said. “It’s OK if you’re going to lowball the first couple of offers. You’ll eventually learn what the game is like.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy