MESA, Ariz. — Before he was Gov. Mitt Romney, or presidential-hopeful Mitt Romney, he was simply Mitt.
At least that’s how Helen Schlie of Mesa sees him. Schlie was Romney’s Mormon Sunday School teacher when he was 15 and living in Michigan. She even had to drag him to class on occasion.
“He and Dennis Gallagher were always some place in the [church] building,” said Schlie. “I had to go find them.”
Schlie also visited Mitt’s mother, Lenore, on occasion at the Romney home. She remembers watching Romney and his siblings eating meals at the table, and notes that they were a well-behaved bunch.
It’s been 50 years since Romney was in Schlie’s class and much has changed for him, but when Schlie sees Romney on TV talking with voters and debating rivals, she doesn’t see a presidential candidate. She see the same boy that she pulled into her Sunday School class.
“He’s been taught from Day One how to handle people, and how to be kind and honest,” said Schlie. “He would look at things from all perspectives. He would look at things from every angle before he made a decision.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas