MESA, Ariz. — Before he was Gov. Mitt Romney, or presidential-hopeful Mitt Romney, he was simply Mitt.
At least that’s how Helen Schlie of Mesa sees him. Schlie was Romney’s Mormon Sunday School teacher when he was 15 and living in Michigan. She even had to drag him to class on occasion.
“He and Dennis Gallagher were always some place in the [church] building,” said Schlie. “I had to go find them.”
Schlie also visited Mitt’s mother, Lenore, on occasion at the Romney home. She remembers watching Romney and his siblings eating meals at the table, and notes that they were a well-behaved bunch.
It’s been 50 years since Romney was in Schlie’s class and much has changed for him, but when Schlie sees Romney on TV talking with voters and debating rivals, she doesn’t see a presidential candidate. She see the same boy that she pulled into her Sunday School class.
“He’s been taught from Day One how to handle people, and how to be kind and honest,” said Schlie. “He would look at things from all perspectives. He would look at things from every angle before he made a decision.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development