PHOENIX — Up to $500 billion in automatic defense cuts could take effect in January if congressional leaders can’t reach a deficit reduction deal, according to Reuters.
Lee McPheters with Arizona State University’s W.P. School of Business said Arizona’s defense industry, which includes contractors Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed and Raytheon, could see cuts of about $2 billion, at a time when the states economy is beginning to refire.
McPheters said that could cost the state 10,000 direct defense jobs but that number will likely double with the trickle down.
“Those jobs support everything in the community,” he said. “Everything from grocery stores, doctors, real estate and so forth. So you get a double whammy.”
Arizona Republican Congressman Jeff Flake said spending cuts will leave no area of government untouched.
“I hope the Senate does what the House did where we say we need to hit the targets but we should take it from mandatory spending, not defense,” he said. “I know that’s the direction that senators McCain and Kyl want to go.”
McPheters said cuts would be a step back for the state’s recovery.
“We’re actually seeing manufacturing improve in the state and of course so many of these defense contracts involve high-tech manufacturing,” he said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy