PHOENIX — Up to $500 billion in automatic defense cuts could take effect in January if congressional leaders can’t reach a deficit reduction deal, according to Reuters.
Lee McPheters with Arizona State University’s W.P. School of Business said Arizona’s defense industry, which includes contractors Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed and Raytheon, could see cuts of about $2 billion, at a time when the states economy is beginning to refire.
McPheters said that could cost the state 10,000 direct defense jobs but that number will likely double with the trickle down.
“Those jobs support everything in the community,” he said. “Everything from grocery stores, doctors, real estate and so forth. So you get a double whammy.”
Arizona Republican Congressman Jeff Flake said spending cuts will leave no area of government untouched.
“I hope the Senate does what the House did where we say we need to hit the targets but we should take it from mandatory spending, not defense,” he said. “I know that’s the direction that senators McCain and Kyl want to go.”
McPheters said cuts would be a step back for the state’s recovery.
“We’re actually seeing manufacturing improve in the state and of course so many of these defense contracts involve high-tech manufacturing,” he said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas