PHOENIX — The head of the Arizona Construction Association said Arizona lost almost 210,000 construction workers during the recession.
The shortage of carpenters, framers, masons and roofers is reportedly causing builders to poach the competition’s crews by offering more money.
“If they’re trying to pull from everywhere, it tells me the recent appetite for residential construction is now escalating and the people aren’t there,” said David Jones, president of the Arizona Construction Association.
Jones said many construction workers left because of the state’s tough immigration laws and may not return. On top of this, the younger generation is more interested in technology jobs than backbreaking work in construction.
“They’re young and they’re bright but not interested in working with their hands and minds in a physically demanding job,” he said.
Jones said returning American troops may be an option to fill the construction jobs.
“That may well be a reservoir that we will rely on for skilled labor,” he said. “They have construction skills, know how to operate equipment and want to work when they come home.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food