PHOENIX — The head of the Arizona Construction Association said Arizona lost almost 210,000 construction workers during the recession.
The shortage of carpenters, framers, masons and roofers is reportedly causing builders to poach the competition’s crews by offering more money.
“If they’re trying to pull from everywhere, it tells me the recent appetite for residential construction is now escalating and the people aren’t there,” said David Jones, president of the Arizona Construction Association.
Jones said many construction workers left because of the state’s tough immigration laws and may not return. On top of this, the younger generation is more interested in technology jobs than backbreaking work in construction.
“They’re young and they’re bright but not interested in working with their hands and minds in a physically demanding job,” he said.
Jones said returning American troops may be an option to fill the construction jobs.
“That may well be a reservoir that we will rely on for skilled labor,” he said. “They have construction skills, know how to operate equipment and want to work when they come home.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.