Four valley cities, including El Mirage, are joining forces to reduce health care costs for their employees.
Andi Welsh with the city of El Mirage said the city will save about $75,000 per year by joining the Arizona Metropolitan Trust which provides Arizona Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage.
“This type of innovation that the cities have created will help stabilize the ever-increasing health care costs in the public sector,” she said.
Along with El Mirage, the cities of Apache Junction, Avondale and Youngstown have joined the trust.
“It spreads out the risk to the member cities by having a larger pool of employees than by having just the cities individually providing their own benefits,” said Welsh.
Nearly 2,000 fire, police and city employees are now part of the coverage.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night