Four valley cities, including El Mirage, are joining forces to reduce health care costs for their employees.
Andi Welsh with the city of El Mirage said the city will save about $75,000 per year by joining the Arizona Metropolitan Trust which provides Arizona Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage.
“This type of innovation that the cities have created will help stabilize the ever-increasing health care costs in the public sector,” she said.
Along with El Mirage, the cities of Apache Junction, Avondale and Youngstown have joined the trust.
“It spreads out the risk to the member cities by having a larger pool of employees than by having just the cities individually providing their own benefits,” said Welsh.
Nearly 2,000 fire, police and city employees are now part of the coverage.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns