Four valley cities, including El Mirage, are joining forces to reduce health care costs for their employees.
Andi Welsh with the city of El Mirage said the city will save about $75,000 per year by joining the Arizona Metropolitan Trust which provides Arizona Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage.
“This type of innovation that the cities have created will help stabilize the ever-increasing health care costs in the public sector,” she said.
Along with El Mirage, the cities of Apache Junction, Avondale and Youngstown have joined the trust.
“It spreads out the risk to the member cities by having a larger pool of employees than by having just the cities individually providing their own benefits,” said Welsh.
Nearly 2,000 fire, police and city employees are now part of the coverage.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees