Four valley cities, including El Mirage, are joining forces to reduce health care costs for their employees.
Andi Welsh with the city of El Mirage said the city will save about $75,000 per year by joining the Arizona Metropolitan Trust which provides Arizona Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage.
“This type of innovation that the cities have created will help stabilize the ever-increasing health care costs in the public sector,” she said.
Along with El Mirage, the cities of Apache Junction, Avondale and Youngstown have joined the trust.
“It spreads out the risk to the member cities by having a larger pool of employees than by having just the cities individually providing their own benefits,” said Welsh.
Nearly 2,000 fire, police and city employees are now part of the coverage.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon