Researchers in Denmark found that women who consume certain amounts of alcohol during pregnancy has no effect on the fetus or child even up to five years later.
In a series of several studies, these researchers evaluated the drinking patterns of 1,628 women during pregnancy. After 5 years, they assessed the children’s IQ, executive functions and attention span.
“We found no significant association of low to moderate average weekly alcohol consumption, and any binge drinking, during early to mid- pregnancy with the neurodevelopment of children at the age of five years,” the researchers said.
Findings that are problematic for Sara Rumann with the Arizona Department of Health.
“Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is 100 percent preventable,” she said. “Even the Surgeon General issued an advisory in 2005, to avoid drinking at all during pregnancy.”
Some of the symptoms of FASD include facial abnormalities, growth deficiencies, skeletal deformities and behavioral issues.
“There’s just no current research that proves that it isn’t damaging to the fetus,” said Ruman.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets