Researchers in Denmark found that women who consume certain amounts of alcohol during pregnancy has no effect on the fetus or child even up to five years later.
In a series of several studies, these researchers evaluated the drinking patterns of 1,628 women during pregnancy. After 5 years, they assessed the children’s IQ, executive functions and attention span.
“We found no significant association of low to moderate average weekly alcohol consumption, and any binge drinking, during early to mid- pregnancy with the neurodevelopment of children at the age of five years,” the researchers said.
Findings that are problematic for Sara Rumann with the Arizona Department of Health.
“Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is 100 percent preventable,” she said. “Even the Surgeon General issued an advisory in 2005, to avoid drinking at all during pregnancy.”
Some of the symptoms of FASD include facial abnormalities, growth deficiencies, skeletal deformities and behavioral issues.
“There’s just no current research that proves that it isn’t damaging to the fetus,” said Ruman.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees