Researchers in Denmark found that women who consume certain amounts of alcohol during pregnancy has no effect on the fetus or child even up to five years later.
In a series of several studies, these researchers evaluated the drinking patterns of 1,628 women during pregnancy. After 5 years, they assessed the children’s IQ, executive functions and attention span.
“We found no significant association of low to moderate average weekly alcohol consumption, and any binge drinking, during early to mid- pregnancy with the neurodevelopment of children at the age of five years,” the researchers said.
Findings that are problematic for Sara Rumann with the Arizona Department of Health.
“Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is 100 percent preventable,” she said. “Even the Surgeon General issued an advisory in 2005, to avoid drinking at all during pregnancy.”
Some of the symptoms of FASD include facial abnormalities, growth deficiencies, skeletal deformities and behavioral issues.
“There’s just no current research that proves that it isn’t damaging to the fetus,” said Ruman.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns