Researchers in Denmark found that women who consume certain amounts of alcohol during pregnancy has no effect on the fetus or child even up to five years later.
In a series of several studies, these researchers evaluated the drinking patterns of 1,628 women during pregnancy. After 5 years, they assessed the children’s IQ, executive functions and attention span.
“We found no significant association of low to moderate average weekly alcohol consumption, and any binge drinking, during early to mid- pregnancy with the neurodevelopment of children at the age of five years,” the researchers said.
Findings that are problematic for Sara Rumann with the Arizona Department of Health.
“Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is 100 percent preventable,” she said. “Even the Surgeon General issued an advisory in 2005, to avoid drinking at all during pregnancy.”
Some of the symptoms of FASD include facial abnormalities, growth deficiencies, skeletal deformities and behavioral issues.
“There’s just no current research that proves that it isn’t damaging to the fetus,” said Ruman.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development