Researchers in Denmark found that women who consume certain amounts of alcohol during pregnancy has no effect on the fetus or child even up to five years later.
In a series of several studies, these researchers evaluated the drinking patterns of 1,628 women during pregnancy. After 5 years, they assessed the children’s IQ, executive functions and attention span.
“We found no significant association of low to moderate average weekly alcohol consumption, and any binge drinking, during early to mid- pregnancy with the neurodevelopment of children at the age of five years,” the researchers said.
Findings that are problematic for Sara Rumann with the Arizona Department of Health.
“Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is 100 percent preventable,” she said. “Even the Surgeon General issued an advisory in 2005, to avoid drinking at all during pregnancy.”
Some of the symptoms of FASD include facial abnormalities, growth deficiencies, skeletal deformities and behavioral issues.
“There’s just no current research that proves that it isn’t damaging to the fetus,” said Ruman.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night