PHOENIX – The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors won’t accept private
funds to offset nearly $10,000 spent to investigate President Barack Obama’s
County Sheriff Joe Arpaio sent a deputy to Hawaii last month to verify Obama’s
So-called “birthers” claim Obama is ineligible to hold the country’s highest
elected office because they contend he was born in Kenya, his father’s homeland.
Hawaii officials have repeatedly confirmed Obama’s citizenship and verified
Obama’s birth records to Arizona’s elections chief.
The supervisors declined Wednesday to accept private funds to offset the trip’s
cost, which The Arizona Republic says include more than
$3,500 in overtime payments.
Sheriff’s spokeswoman Lisa Allen says the agency will try again to get the
board to accept the donations covering more than $9,600 in expenses.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon