PHOENIX — An orangutan that has lived at the Phoenix Zoo for 50 years is
sick with cancer.
The Arizona Republic reported zoo officials said Tuesday
that Duchess has been diagnosed with lymphosarcoma and likely only
has weeks to live.
Zookeepers learned of the illness last week after noticing a decrease in her appetite and
other unusual behavior. A medical exam showed a mass in her abdomen and enlarged
The 52-year-old primate is the oldest Bornean orangutan in North America and
has been with the zoo since 1962.
Zoo staffers said they will try to make Duchess as comfortable as possible and
are speaking with oncologists about other treatment options.
They said the zoo is taking comfort that Duchess has surpassed an orangutan’s
Information from: The Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments