SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – While the U.S. Labor Department said American workers’ productivity dropped in the first quarter of this year, one company with an office in the Valley said it’s getting more out of its workers by encouraging them to take a break.
At Yelp in Scottsdale, hundreds of workers can connect you with the services you need. ”
It’s the auto industry, it’s restaurants, it’s lawyers,” said John Garnan, the Director of Sales Recruiting at Yelp. “It’s everything you can think about where you spend money for a service in your neighborhoods.”
Garnan said the 7-year-old company realized its hardworking employees occassionally need a break.
“Short breaks increase worker productivity,” said Garnan.
So they created a 60,000-square-foot office that has everything they need to relax a little bit.
“If someone works for three hours, and they need to get their mind right or need a break, we’ve got pool tables, ping pong tables, fooseball tables and game rooms,” said Garnan.
They have a quiet room where workers can relax in a chair that gives them a massage. The company even has a beer station where workers can enjoy a cold one with their co-workers before heading home on Friday. The company wants its’ people to enjoy their job.
“If you can understand that you’re employees are happy, they’re working hard, and the production has increased, it’s well worth the money that we spend,” said Garnan.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains