SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – While the U.S. Labor Department said American workers’ productivity dropped in the first quarter of this year, one company with an office in the Valley said it’s getting more out of its workers by encouraging them to take a break.
At Yelp in Scottsdale, hundreds of workers can connect you with the services you need. ”
It’s the auto industry, it’s restaurants, it’s lawyers,” said John Garnan, the Director of Sales Recruiting at Yelp. “It’s everything you can think about where you spend money for a service in your neighborhoods.”
Garnan said the 7-year-old company realized its hardworking employees occassionally need a break.
“Short breaks increase worker productivity,” said Garnan.
So they created a 60,000-square-foot office that has everything they need to relax a little bit.
“If someone works for three hours, and they need to get their mind right or need a break, we’ve got pool tables, ping pong tables, fooseball tables and game rooms,” said Garnan.
They have a quiet room where workers can relax in a chair that gives them a massage. The company even has a beer station where workers can enjoy a cold one with their co-workers before heading home on Friday. The company wants its’ people to enjoy their job.
“If you can understand that you’re employees are happy, they’re working hard, and the production has increased, it’s well worth the money that we spend,” said Garnan.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life