SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – While the U.S. Labor Department said American workers’ productivity dropped in the first quarter of this year, one company with an office in the Valley said it’s getting more out of its workers by encouraging them to take a break.
At Yelp in Scottsdale, hundreds of workers can connect you with the services you need. ”
It’s the auto industry, it’s restaurants, it’s lawyers,” said John Garnan, the Director of Sales Recruiting at Yelp. “It’s everything you can think about where you spend money for a service in your neighborhoods.”
Garnan said the 7-year-old company realized its hardworking employees occassionally need a break.
“Short breaks increase worker productivity,” said Garnan.
So they created a 60,000-square-foot office that has everything they need to relax a little bit.
“If someone works for three hours, and they need to get their mind right or need a break, we’ve got pool tables, ping pong tables, fooseball tables and game rooms,” said Garnan.
They have a quiet room where workers can relax in a chair that gives them a massage. The company even has a beer station where workers can enjoy a cold one with their co-workers before heading home on Friday. The company wants its’ people to enjoy their job.
“If you can understand that you’re employees are happy, they’re working hard, and the production has increased, it’s well worth the money that we spend,” said Garnan.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever