PHOENIX — Maricopa County officials have approved a budget which includes
millions of dollars for employee bonuses.
The Arizona Republic reported the Maricopa County Board
of Supervisors unanimously adopted a $2.3 billion budget Monday. The budget
earmarks $15.3 million in contingency funds for work bonuses while the county
starts a fifth year without giving merit-based raises.
Deputy county budget director Sandi Wilson said while other jurisdictions are
handing out raises, Maricopa County simply doesn’t have the money now.
Officials said the fiscal 2013 budget is about $72 million less than the
previous year. They said revenue is likely to be $66 million lower. The board
opted not to raise property taxes.
Maricopa County’s revenue is generated mostly from sales taxes, car-license
taxes, property taxes and other fees.
Information from: The Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains