PHOENIX — According to the Arizona Department of Health, Arizona’s teen smoking rate is down by 12 percent in the last couple of years.
Teen smoking rates nationwide have generally stayed the same. Social-media campaigns like the ones from Venomocity and Students Taking a New Direction (STAND) are among the reasons for Arizona’s success.
“They are very helpful because they are informative, they are visual, and the kids can see it and imagine they are in the shoes of the youth they see on that video,” said Clyde Miller, youth coordinator for Tanner Community Development Corp., a teen support center in Phoenix.
Miller helps teens kick the habit, and said websites and social media are becoming the most powerful weapons in that fight. He said the websites let teens interact with each other and give each other support even if they live miles away.
The websites also benefit peer counselors. Janea Crum, 15, helps organize conferences and presentations to help teens stop smoking, but she said the Internet can be more effective than a face-to-face approach.
“They go on [the websites] on their own time, which signifies that they really want to stop smoking and they really want to get help. It doesn’t make it such a public issue,” said Crum.
Both Crum and Miller said one of the more effective tools found on the websites are videos of teens who have quit smoking.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments