PHOENIX — A new sentencing date has been set for a man who admitted to
participating in a gun smuggling ring that was being monitored as part of the
federal government’s botched investigation known as Operation Fast and Furious.
The sentencing date for Dejan Hercegovac was moved from June 25 to Aug. 13.
Hercegovac had pleaded guilty in April to a charge of conspiracy.
He admitted buying 31 guns for the ring and saying that the guns were for him
when he was actually making the purchases on behalf of the ring.
He faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
Federal authorities have faced criticism for allowing suspected straw gun
buyers to walk away from gun shops with weapons, rather than arrest the suspects
and seize the guns there.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain