PHOENIX — Officials say a late afternoon dust storm that moved into the
Phoenix region reduced visibility and caused a series of crashes that closed at
least one highway.
Weather officials say some parts of the region area had visibility cut to less
than one-eighth of a mile.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety says there were a handful of minor
car accidents, and a short stretch of Highway 347 just south of Phoenix near
Riggs Road was briefly closed.
James Sawtelle, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, says winds
from thunderstorms Saturday in southern Pinal County kicked up dust as it
moved northwest across the state.
He says cities on the edges of metropolitan Phoenix saw some of the worst
visibility around 5 p.m., with winds moving about 35 miles an hour.
Sawtelle says the storm lingered over the Valley for a few hours.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon