PHOENIX — Officials say a late afternoon dust storm that moved into the
Phoenix region reduced visibility and caused a series of crashes that closed at
least one highway.
Weather officials say some parts of the region area had visibility cut to less
than one-eighth of a mile.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety says there were a handful of minor
car accidents, and a short stretch of Highway 347 just south of Phoenix near
Riggs Road was briefly closed.
James Sawtelle, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, says winds
from thunderstorms Saturday in southern Pinal County kicked up dust as it
moved northwest across the state.
He says cities on the edges of metropolitan Phoenix saw some of the worst
visibility around 5 p.m., with winds moving about 35 miles an hour.
Sawtelle says the storm lingered over the Valley for a few hours.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match