PHOENIX — A class-action lawsuit has been filed charging that mortgage
broker The Lending Company illegally offered a popular 1 percent
down payment on FHA loans. The lead plaintiff in the case claims that federal
law requires a 3.5 percent down payment on FHA loans.
“FHA is generous in that they allow you to increase the interest rate to a point
to pay for all of your closing costs,” said Valley real estate expert Dean
Wegner. “The Lending Company took that to the next level. They increased
the rate so high that it could cover the down payment.”
Wegner said the company then took it another step further by paying charities
a kickback and and an ‘administrative fee’ (usually about $400) from
the money earned from the higher interest rate, and the charities then
“gifted” the borrower the money for the down payment.
“TLC had basically
the buyer, through the higher interest rate, fund the down payment through
the charity, and the charity paid the buyer,” said Wegner.
Wegner said the kickback and administrative fee amounted to hidden closing
costs that TLC didn’t tell the borrower about. He said that it remains to be
seen whether any charities will be accused of wrongdoing.
Funding and RJ Reynolds are among those also named as defendants in the
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon