TUCSON, Ariz. — Experts say the prolonged drought in southern Arizona is
affecting some cacti and desert trees, which are withering from lack of
The curator of botany at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum says native
plants are definitely seeing the effects of the 0.68 of an inch of rain the
Tucson area has had this year.
George Montgomery tells the Arizona Daily Star that cholla cacti, saguaros, palo
verde trees all have been affected.
He says cholla species are showing drought damage, saguaros are
earlier than normal and palo verde trees are showing twig death.
But Montgomery says many cacti have a smooth, almost waxy surface that
helps them retain moisture.
Palo verde trees, chollas and other desert-dwelling species can lose twigs,
branches or arms while remaining alive.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths