TUCSON, Ariz. — Experts say the prolonged drought in southern Arizona is
affecting some cacti and desert trees, which are withering from lack of
The curator of botany at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum says native
plants are definitely seeing the effects of the 0.68 of an inch of rain the
Tucson area has had this year.
George Montgomery tells the Arizona Daily Star that cholla cacti, saguaros, palo
verde trees all have been affected.
He says cholla species are showing drought damage, saguaros are
earlier than normal and palo verde trees are showing twig death.
But Montgomery says many cacti have a smooth, almost waxy surface that
helps them retain moisture.
Palo verde trees, chollas and other desert-dwelling species can lose twigs,
branches or arms while remaining alive.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona