GLENDALE, Ariz. – Glendale businesses are stepping up their fight against the sales tax increase approved this week by the Glendale City Council.
Opponents of the seven-tenths of one percent tax hike said they will announce on Tuesday a campaign to put it to a public vote. The Glendale Chamber of Commerce is against the tax.
“If the tax is enacted as proposed, it would have, in our opinion, a negative impact on business in Glendale and trying to get businesses to locate here,” said Chamber President Don Rinehart.
If a tax increase is necessary, Rinehart wants the city to take a two-tiered approach, which would eliminate the higher tax on big ticket items.
“Single item sales of $5,000 or more would be taxed at the existing sales tax rate that’s currently in place,” said Rinehart. “Anything else underneath that would be taxed at the new rate.”
Rinehart said the city is still looking at the two-tiered system.
Supporters of the tax increase said Glendale needs it to generate more than $20 million in new revenues in the next fiscal year. Glendale would still need to raise the tax even without the 20-year, $324-million dollar deal with potential new Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison to manage Jobing.com arena.
Tax opponents need to collect at least 1,800 valid petition signatures by July 5th to have the measure put on the November ballot.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development