PHOENIX – In the early days of television, every city with a station had a local kids show.
Phoenix had something special.
It was the “Wallace and Ladmo Show.” You can get a glimpse of what it was like with the play “The Wallace and Ladmo Show” with performances Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Herberger Theater in Phoenix.
“Wallace and Ladmo” graced Phoenix TV screens for 35 years, from 1954 to 1989. There was Wallace, played by Bill Thompson, who started the character on the “Goldust Charlie” show on KPHO-TV. He was joined by Ladmir Kwiatkowski, “Ladmo,” a tall guy with a big hat and a tie painted on his tee-shirt. He joined the show when he got a job at KPHO after playing baseball at ASU.
They were joined in 1960 by Pat McMahon, who played several characters, including Captain Super, Aunt Maude, and Gerald, the rich brat who every kid loved to hate.
There were lots of cartoons, like “Popeye” and “Roger Ramjet.” Wallace said that everyone in Phoenix wanted a Ladmo Bag, filled with sugary goodies.
“Ladmo told me at one time, he had given away 35,000 Ladmo bags over the course of 20 to 25 years or something,” he said.
The play about the show was originally performed 12 years ago. This production is at the request of the Arizona Centennial Commission, which felt that “Wallace and Ladmo” should be part of the state’s 100th birthday celebration.
Ben Tyler wrote the play.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development