TEMPE, Ariz. – There’s a big myth going around about Valley real estate, an expert said.
Right now, there are about 8,800 homes for sale in the Phoenix area, compared with 50,000 in 2008. Many people believe the low number is because banks are holding foreclosed homes off of the market in an effort to drive up Valley home prices.
Professor Michael Orr of the ASU Real Estate Studies Department doesn’t believe that.
“I actually keep a file of exactly what houses the banks own and what they’re doing with them,” he said. “When you actually count them out, it’s a relatively trivial amount that they actually own that they haven’t already listed for sale.”
As for banks having a so-called “shadow inventory,” Orr said it’s just not in the cards.
“It’s not possible,” he said. “To own a house, you have to have a deed. A trustee doing the foreclosure writes a deed and records it with the county. You can get those and examine them and see when the bank disposes of the property. It’s not really ‘in the shadows,’ it’s public information.”
Orr said buyers shouldn’t be worried that Valley housing prices will plummet when banks flood the market with foreclosures to sell because it’s not going to happen.
“It’s a bit like the Y2K problem,” he said. “Everyone was really was really scared about that, but when [the year 2000] came around, nothing happened.”
Orr said the same will be true for Valley real estate.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon