TEMPE, Ariz. – There’s a big myth going around about Valley real estate, an expert said.
Right now, there are about 8,800 homes for sale in the Phoenix area, compared with 50,000 in 2008. Many people believe the low number is because banks are holding foreclosed homes off of the market in an effort to drive up Valley home prices.
Professor Michael Orr of the ASU Real Estate Studies Department doesn’t believe that.
“I actually keep a file of exactly what houses the banks own and what they’re doing with them,” he said. “When you actually count them out, it’s a relatively trivial amount that they actually own that they haven’t already listed for sale.”
As for banks having a so-called “shadow inventory,” Orr said it’s just not in the cards.
“It’s not possible,” he said. “To own a house, you have to have a deed. A trustee doing the foreclosure writes a deed and records it with the county. You can get those and examine them and see when the bank disposes of the property. It’s not really ‘in the shadows,’ it’s public information.”
Orr said buyers shouldn’t be worried that Valley housing prices will plummet when banks flood the market with foreclosures to sell because it’s not going to happen.
“It’s a bit like the Y2K problem,” he said. “Everyone was really was really scared about that, but when [the year 2000] came around, nothing happened.”
Orr said the same will be true for Valley real estate.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee