An Arizona medical marijuana card holder was arrested Tuesday after he was found to have more than six times the legal amount of marijuana permitted for card holders and $10,000 cash in his possession.
Pinal County Sheriff’s Office contacted a Hyundai Elantra that was tailgating a Jeep around 9:00 p.m. When the officer approached the vehicle, the driver, Kirk Hutchins of Eloy, rolled down the window and the officer caught a strong smell of marijuana.
Hutchins presented the officer with his driver’s license and medical marijuana card. He showed the deputy about two grams of marijuana. Hutchins’ license was suspended, but he told the officer he was going to pay the fines next week to get the license reinstated.
As the officer questioned Hutchins, he noticed a strong odor of fresh marijuana. Hutchins said he had no additional marijuana in the car and did not give permission for his car to be searched.
Hutchins was arrested and his car was searched. He had $700 in his pocket, but $10,000 in cash and about two pounds of vacuum-sealed marijuana was found in a duffel bag.
With medical marijuana dispensaries open in Arizona, PCSO said they are concerned this could be a growing problem.
“Clearly Mr. Hutchins may have had the legal means to obtain approved medicinal marijuana, but he was abusing the system,” said PSCO spokesman Elias Johnson. “This is is the difficulty that we’re going to see as the medicinal marijuana use progresses here in Arizona and we have the dispensaries open up.”
Johnson said that people who are abusing medical marijuana cards should be reported to police, as it is a serious offense.
Hutchins was charged with the possession, transportation and sale of marijuana and driving on a suspended license.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise