An Arizona medical marijuana card holder was arrested Tuesday after he was found to have more than six times the legal amount of marijuana permitted for card holders and $10,000 cash in his possession.
Pinal County Sheriff’s Office contacted a Hyundai Elantra that was tailgating a Jeep around 9:00 p.m. When the officer approached the vehicle, the driver, Kirk Hutchins of Eloy, rolled down the window and the officer caught a strong smell of marijuana.
Hutchins presented the officer with his driver’s license and medical marijuana card. He showed the deputy about two grams of marijuana. Hutchins’ license was suspended, but he told the officer he was going to pay the fines next week to get the license reinstated.
As the officer questioned Hutchins, he noticed a strong odor of fresh marijuana. Hutchins said he had no additional marijuana in the car and did not give permission for his car to be searched.
Hutchins was arrested and his car was searched. He had $700 in his pocket, but $10,000 in cash and about two pounds of vacuum-sealed marijuana was found in a duffel bag.
With medical marijuana dispensaries open in Arizona, PCSO said they are concerned this could be a growing problem.
“Clearly Mr. Hutchins may have had the legal means to obtain approved medicinal marijuana, but he was abusing the system,” said PSCO spokesman Elias Johnson. “This is is the difficulty that we’re going to see as the medicinal marijuana use progresses here in Arizona and we have the dispensaries open up.”
Johnson said that people who are abusing medical marijuana cards should be reported to police, as it is a serious offense.
Hutchins was charged with the possession, transportation and sale of marijuana and driving on a suspended license.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life