IRVINE, Calif. – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer took her battle with President Obama on the road Monday.
Brewer was the keynote speaker at $150-per-ticket fundraiser for the Republican Party of Orange County in Irvine, California. She spent her entire 15 minute speech attacking the President.
“She called him a failure twice,” said Martin Wisckol, a political reporter with The Orange County Register. “She criticized the growth of the national debt. She put that at his feet, as well cuts to defense spending, high unemployment, political divisiveness and, of course, illegal immigration.”
Wisckol recounted Brewer as saying “this is what failure looks like,” when talking about Obama. She then told the crowd, “I’m here to tell you what success looks like. It looks like Arizona.”
Wisckol said that Brewer was surrounded by a famous picture as she spoke.
“They had a bigger-than-life photograph on either side of the stage of the governor with the president on the tarmac at the Phoenix airport back in January,” he said. “She is waving her finger in the president’s face.”
Brewer would not tell the audience of 700 people what she was saying to Obama when the picture was taken. Wisckol said that she instead encouraged them that if they ever get the chance to talk to Obama, they should tell him “we don’t need you…you’re a failure.”
The picture was captioned with the words “You Go Girl.”
Brewer’s spokesman, Mathew Benson, said that Orange County Republican Party was responsible for placing the picture on the stage and that the governor had nothing to do with it.
At least one person at the event asked for a picture with the governor, in which she posed wagging her finger at him in the same way.
Wisckol said it’s ironic that 700 supporters turned out to see Brewer in California, where many people called for a boycott of Arizona after she signed SB 1070, Arizona’s controversial immigration law.
“Governor Brewer has become an iconic figure, certainly not to the majority of the very Democratic state of California, but certainly to a very active anti-illegal immigration faction,” said Wisckol.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier