PHOENIX — A recent study from the Journal of Pediatrics said that children as young as 7 years old harm themselves on purpose to deal with emotional stress.
They do this by cutting, burning, or hitting themselves.
The numbers come from interviews with children in Denver and central New Jersey. Nearly 8 percent of the third-graders interviewed said they had hurt themselves intentionally.
“I suspect it may have to do with the children having more media exposure and interactive media exposure,” said Dr. Urszula Kotlow, a child therapist at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
According to Kotlow, there are many reasons why kids self-harm, but she attributes some of the latest cases to isolation from others and more time interacting online.
She believes more kids are finding themselves in adultlike situations on the Internet when they aren’t mature enough to cope with those situations.
“It’s like they are being traumatized with the experiences they have with cyberbullying, and with the more frequent, uncensored exposure,” said Kotlow.
Kotlow believes less exposure to the Internet and cell phones could help prevent kids from harming themselves.
If a child is self-harming, parents should try to seek counseling for them.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths