CHANDLER, Ariz. — You’ve heard of flash mobs, where a big
crowd meets at a certain place and time to perform a song
Now there are
“cash mobs,” dedicated to helping local businesses. And
they’re mobbing in the Valley.
“The idea came up as a way of promoting some of the
businesses that are having a hard time during the
struggling economy,” said Kerwin Brown, president of the
Greater Phoenix Black Chamber of Commerce.
The chamber decided to hold its first cash mob last
Tuesday at Get Sassy Beauty Supply in Chandler.
“We put the word out through social media and our other
contacts that we were going to all converge on this one
business on one day and commit to spending at least $15,”
The store was chosen because the strip mall it’s in is
recovering from a recent fire. Brown said 50 people showed
up and spent cash, with many more buying at least $15
worth of merchandise on the store’s website.
Shop owner Vanessa Young was left with a lot of cash.
“As [Young] said, there’s no way her receipts would have
looked this good during the middle of the week if we
hadn’t done this for her,” said Brown.
The target of the chamber’s next cash mob is an ice cream
shop in Old Town Scottsdale.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food