CHANDLER, Ariz. — You’ve heard of flash mobs, where a big
crowd meets at a certain place and time to perform a song
Now there are
“cash mobs,” dedicated to helping local businesses. And
they’re mobbing in the Valley.
“The idea came up as a way of promoting some of the
businesses that are having a hard time during the
struggling economy,” said Kerwin Brown, president of the
Greater Phoenix Black Chamber of Commerce.
The chamber decided to hold its first cash mob last
Tuesday at Get Sassy Beauty Supply in Chandler.
“We put the word out through social media and our other
contacts that we were going to all converge on this one
business on one day and commit to spending at least $15,”
The store was chosen because the strip mall it’s in is
recovering from a recent fire. Brown said 50 people showed
up and spent cash, with many more buying at least $15
worth of merchandise on the store’s website.
Shop owner Vanessa Young was left with a lot of cash.
“As [Young] said, there’s no way her receipts would have
looked this good during the middle of the week if we
hadn’t done this for her,” said Brown.
The target of the chamber’s next cash mob is an ice cream
shop in Old Town Scottsdale.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development