CHANDLER, Ariz. — You’ve heard of flash mobs, where a big
crowd meets at a certain place and time to perform a song
Now there are
“cash mobs,” dedicated to helping local businesses. And
they’re mobbing in the Valley.
“The idea came up as a way of promoting some of the
businesses that are having a hard time during the
struggling economy,” said Kerwin Brown, president of the
Greater Phoenix Black Chamber of Commerce.
The chamber decided to hold its first cash mob last
Tuesday at Get Sassy Beauty Supply in Chandler.
“We put the word out through social media and our other
contacts that we were going to all converge on this one
business on one day and commit to spending at least $15,”
The store was chosen because the strip mall it’s in is
recovering from a recent fire. Brown said 50 people showed
up and spent cash, with many more buying at least $15
worth of merchandise on the store’s website.
Shop owner Vanessa Young was left with a lot of cash.
“As [Young] said, there’s no way her receipts would have
looked this good during the middle of the week if we
hadn’t done this for her,” said Brown.
The target of the chamber’s next cash mob is an ice cream
shop in Old Town Scottsdale.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona