SALT LAKE CITY — Father’s Day is approaching, but shopping for Dad might not be very easy, according to SmartMoney.
About 87 percent of dads would rather have dinner with the family than have “a night in the man cave,” according to a recent survey by techbargains.com. Most fathers don’t want another tie, as 65 percent said they would rather get nothing than another tie.
Even though Father’s Day spending is up 10 percent this year, as the average consumer spends $117, many fathers don’t want a day to be about them, according to the National Retail Federation.
“Typically, when it comes to Father’s Day, there’s a lot to be said of men who don’t want to be made a big deal of,” Kathy Grannis, a spokeswoman for NRF, told SmartMoney. “They tell kids, ‘If you’re going to spend money, spend it on your mother.'”
Only 14 percent of fathers said they want automotive accessories for the holiday, according to the NRF survey. In addition, just 18 percent said they want some kind of personal care product.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development