SELLS, Ariz. — Gov. Jan Brewer has ordered flags to be lowered in honor
of a Yuma firefighter who was killed when his brush truck rolled over in rough
terrain southwest of Tucson.
Authorities say the crash happened Friday while a crew was headed to a
1,700-acre wildfire in the Baboquivari Mountains near Sells.
The dead firefighter was identified as 31-year-old engine boss Anthony Polk.
He was working for the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is the agency
overseeing management of the fire.
Two other firefighters were injured in the crash. They were treated and
released from a Sells hospital.
Brewer asked that Polk and his family be kept in people’s thoughts and
The Montezuma Fire is 95 percent contained after burning for days on the
Tohono O’odham Nation west of Tucson.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America