SELLS, Ariz. — Gov. Jan Brewer has ordered flags to be lowered in honor
of a Yuma firefighter who was killed when his brush truck rolled over in rough
terrain southwest of Tucson.
Authorities say the crash happened Friday while a crew was headed to a
1,700-acre wildfire in the Baboquivari Mountains near Sells.
The dead firefighter was identified as 31-year-old engine boss Anthony Polk.
He was working for the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is the agency
overseeing management of the fire.
Two other firefighters were injured in the crash. They were treated and
released from a Sells hospital.
Brewer asked that Polk and his family be kept in people’s thoughts and
The Montezuma Fire is 95 percent contained after burning for days on the
Tohono O’odham Nation west of Tucson.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain