SELLS, Ariz. — Gov. Jan Brewer has ordered flags to be lowered in honor
of a Yuma firefighter who was killed when his brush truck rolled over in rough
terrain southwest of Tucson.
Authorities say the crash happened Friday while a crew was headed to a
1,700-acre wildfire in the Baboquivari Mountains near Sells.
The dead firefighter was identified as 31-year-old engine boss Anthony Polk.
He was working for the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is the agency
overseeing management of the fire.
Two other firefighters were injured in the crash. They were treated and
released from a Sells hospital.
Brewer asked that Polk and his family be kept in people’s thoughts and
The Montezuma Fire is 95 percent contained after burning for days on the
Tohono O’odham Nation west of Tucson.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them