WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — Prosecutors reviewing a civil case that accuses
dozens of Navajo Nation officials of fraud say they’re looking to dismiss
charges against some of the defendants.
The Rothstein Law Firm wrote in a May status report to the Window Rock
District Court that those dismissal pleadings could come within the next few
A civil complaint filed by a previous special prosecutor alleges that 85 current
and former Navajo officials defrauded the tribal government in the use or
management of $36 million in discretionary funds.
The law firm says it is negotiating settlements with several defendants, which
are expected to be finalized soon.
Anyone found guilty of the civil charges wouldn’t be jailed but could face
Prosecutors say they’re also close to wrapping up investigations into the
tribe’s dealings with two companies that operated on the reservation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development