WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — Prosecutors reviewing a civil case that accuses
dozens of Navajo Nation officials of fraud say they’re looking to dismiss
charges against some of the defendants.
The Rothstein Law Firm wrote in a May status report to the Window Rock
District Court that those dismissal pleadings could come within the next few
A civil complaint filed by a previous special prosecutor alleges that 85 current
and former Navajo officials defrauded the tribal government in the use or
management of $36 million in discretionary funds.
The law firm says it is negotiating settlements with several defendants, which
are expected to be finalized soon.
Anyone found guilty of the civil charges wouldn’t be jailed but could face
Prosecutors say they’re also close to wrapping up investigations into the
tribe’s dealings with two companies that operated on the reservation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy