A study conducted by a Valley economist said that the city of Glendale will be better off financially by keeping the Phoenix Coyotes rather than losing the team.
According to the study, the cost of operating a Coyotes-less Jobing.com Arena would total $315.3 million over 20 years, the length of the proposed team purchase agreement between Greg Jamison, the city and the NHL.
Should the Coyotes stay, it would cost the city of Glendale about $17.8 million less over the 20 years, when certain discount rates are applied. However, the study said that the gross loss to the city could be doubled with no team in the arena.
“The worst of all possible scenarios for Glendale would be for the hockey team to leave,” the study said.
The Coyotes account for about 59 percent of all the events at Jobing.com Arena and, according to the study, the Cardinals’ ten-home game season, along with other events held in the arena, do not present a viable way for nearby businesses and hotels to remain open. If the Coyotes leave, it could create a ripple effect to outlying offices and residences as well.
The arena is only used 85 days per year on average, thus meaning it has excess capacity. Should the Coyotes leave, demand for the arena could fall off more and property values and tax revenue would decline, despite the city still by liable for bond costs.
Read the full study
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them