A study conducted by a Valley economist said that the city of Glendale will be better off financially by keeping the Phoenix Coyotes rather than losing the team.
According to the study, the cost of operating a Coyotes-less Jobing.com Arena would total $315.3 million over 20 years, the length of the proposed team purchase agreement between Greg Jamison, the city and the NHL.
Should the Coyotes stay, it would cost the city of Glendale about $17.8 million less over the 20 years, when certain discount rates are applied. However, the study said that the gross loss to the city could be doubled with no team in the arena.
“The worst of all possible scenarios for Glendale would be for the hockey team to leave,” the study said.
The Coyotes account for about 59 percent of all the events at Jobing.com Arena and, according to the study, the Cardinals’ ten-home game season, along with other events held in the arena, do not present a viable way for nearby businesses and hotels to remain open. If the Coyotes leave, it could create a ripple effect to outlying offices and residences as well.
The arena is only used 85 days per year on average, thus meaning it has excess capacity. Should the Coyotes leave, demand for the arena could fall off more and property values and tax revenue would decline, despite the city still by liable for bond costs.
Read the full study
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier