A study conducted by a Valley economist said that the city of Glendale will be better off financially by keeping the Phoenix Coyotes rather than losing the team.
According to the study, the cost of operating a Coyotes-less Jobing.com Arena would total $315.3 million over 20 years, the length of the proposed team purchase agreement between Greg Jamison, the city and the NHL.
Should the Coyotes stay, it would cost the city of Glendale about $17.8 million less over the 20 years, when certain discount rates are applied. However, the study said that the gross loss to the city could be doubled with no team in the arena.
“The worst of all possible scenarios for Glendale would be for the hockey team to leave,” the study said.
The Coyotes account for about 59 percent of all the events at Jobing.com Arena and, according to the study, the Cardinals’ ten-home game season, along with other events held in the arena, do not present a viable way for nearby businesses and hotels to remain open. If the Coyotes leave, it could create a ripple effect to outlying offices and residences as well.
The arena is only used 85 days per year on average, thus meaning it has excess capacity. Should the Coyotes leave, demand for the arena could fall off more and property values and tax revenue would decline, despite the city still by liable for bond costs.
Read the full study
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development