A study conducted by a Valley economist said that the city of Glendale will be better off financially by keeping the Phoenix Coyotes rather than losing the team.
According to the study, the cost of operating a Coyotes-less Jobing.com Arena would total $315.3 million over 20 years, the length of the proposed team purchase agreement between Greg Jamison, the city and the NHL.
Should the Coyotes stay, it would cost the city of Glendale about $17.8 million less over the 20 years, when certain discount rates are applied. However, the study said that the gross loss to the city could be doubled with no team in the arena.
“The worst of all possible scenarios for Glendale would be for the hockey team to leave,” the study said.
The Coyotes account for about 59 percent of all the events at Jobing.com Arena and, according to the study, the Cardinals’ ten-home game season, along with other events held in the arena, do not present a viable way for nearby businesses and hotels to remain open. If the Coyotes leave, it could create a ripple effect to outlying offices and residences as well.
The arena is only used 85 days per year on average, thus meaning it has excess capacity. Should the Coyotes leave, demand for the arena could fall off more and property values and tax revenue would decline, despite the city still by liable for bond costs.
Read the full study
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees