SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Maricopa County met with local restaurant owners Thursday morning to discuss proposed regulations to keep indoor play areas clean.
Under the new guidelines, play areas would be included in a restaurant health inspection. Restaurants would have to clean the area once per eight hour shirt, and would have to have hand sanitizer or a hand washing sink in that area.
“When these places buy one of these play structures, they make an agreement with the manufacturer that they will clean and maintain it,” said Dr. Erin Carr-Jordan of Chandler. “It’s already in place what they should do, so it’s nothing new, it’s already there.”
Carr-Jordan has been on a crusade to get tougher regulations in place for months now. She believes local restaurant owner have their customers’ best interests, and safety, in mind. She is just looking for something stronger in writing.
“We already have these standards in place at our restaurant,” said Don Elem, an owner of a Chandler Chick-Fil-A. “We feel having a clean bathroom, a clean playground, and a clean dining room is really what people want.”
The new rules could go in to effect later this year. However, local restaurant owners are giving feedback to make some adjustment to the proposed guidelines before they are part of the inspection. Some owners said that since they already have regulations in place, the proposed rules would be a unnecessary burden.
“It’s a little too aggressive, specifically with the things restaurants already have in place,” said Sherry Gillespie of the Arizona Restaurant Association. “Restaurants already have mandates in place to address what to do when things happen in the play area, and in the dining room, especially if they are part of a chain.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development