PHOENIX — The Phoenix Coyotes’ recent run through the Stanley Cup playoffs brought much-needed positive attention to the team in the Valley.
But many believe that if the team stays in Glendale, it must draw more fans from the Valley’s large Hispanic community in order to grow and survive.
Latino fans watched the games with interest at the Fiesta Grill, a sports bar near 16th and Roosevelt streets that caters to Hispanics.
Fans said they are confident that the Coyotes would do well if they tried to introduce hockey to more people in the Latino community.
“First of all, I think that they will have to get more players that Latin people can relate to,” said Herson Gallegos.
The Coyotes have a player who may be able to do that. Left wing Raffi Torres is Hispanic — of Peruvian and Mexican descent — and one of the team’s more popular players.
Some people say that the expense of hockey keeps Latinos from getting interested in the sport. Rito Florez doesn’t believe that.
“Hispanics do pay a lot of money to go see soccer,” he said. “Soccer tickets are very expensive, and yet you see the Brazilian and Hispanic people showing up there.”
Florez said he and his kids became Coyotes fans after they went to a game and found hockey to be exciting and fun.
Florez said the key to the Coyotes’ success could be making their games more accessible to the Hispanic community through radio and television.
He thinks that if the games were broadcast in Spanish — like the D-backs, Suns and Cardinals — there would be a big jump in interest in the Latino community.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.