PHOENIX — The Phoenix Coyotes’ recent run through the Stanley Cup playoffs brought much-needed positive attention to the team in the Valley.
But many believe that if the team stays in Glendale, it must draw more fans from the Valley’s large Hispanic community in order to grow and survive.
Latino fans watched the games with interest at the Fiesta Grill, a sports bar near 16th and Roosevelt streets that caters to Hispanics.
Fans said they are confident that the Coyotes would do well if they tried to introduce hockey to more people in the Latino community.
“First of all, I think that they will have to get more players that Latin people can relate to,” said Herson Gallegos.
The Coyotes have a player who may be able to do that. Left wing Raffi Torres is Hispanic — of Peruvian and Mexican descent — and one of the team’s more popular players.
Some people say that the expense of hockey keeps Latinos from getting interested in the sport. Rito Florez doesn’t believe that.
“Hispanics do pay a lot of money to go see soccer,” he said. “Soccer tickets are very expensive, and yet you see the Brazilian and Hispanic people showing up there.”
Florez said he and his kids became Coyotes fans after they went to a game and found hockey to be exciting and fun.
Florez said the key to the Coyotes’ success could be making their games more accessible to the Hispanic community through radio and television.
He thinks that if the games were broadcast in Spanish — like the D-backs, Suns and Cardinals — there would be a big jump in interest in the Latino community.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick