CHANDLER, Ariz. — Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications will be home to a new kind of office space that has already found success in Chandler and Avondale.
It’s called Gangplank, and it is a place where small start-up businesses can operate.
“No one pays rent here,” said Katie Hurst, director of operations for Gangplank. “We see a paying structure or fee structure as a barrier to entry. Our space is driven more by social capital, not monetary capital.”
According to Hurst, the city of Chandler pays rent and utilities for its location while Avondale provided a building to use.
The small businesses, or anchors, “pay” for their space in different ways. That could be something as simple as paying for all the printer paper to making sure there is toilet paper in the bathrooms.
“In a lot of cases it’s large things, like heading our initiatives, organizing workshops, running events, or teaching other people in our space a new skill,” said Hurst.
The ultimate goal is that small start-ups get a chance to work with other people going through the same problems, then finding ways to help each other. Since everyone comes in with a different set of skills, everyone has something new to offer.
“I didn’t know anything about Facebook ads, and how to run Facebook ads,” said Chris Piccirillo, who runs his start-up, Bonanza Educational, out of the Chandler Gangplank. “The company behind me runs Facebook ads, so one day they took two hours to show me how to do it.”
The new space at the Cronkite school will operate on the second floor. It will only be around for the summer, but Hurst said Gangplank will be able to see how possible it would be to create a permanent location near the ASU downtown campus.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development