Sudden cardiac arrest is a leading cause of death in Arizona and across the country.
Experts said for every minute someone doesn’t receive CPR during sudden cardiac arrest, their chances of survival drop by 10 percent.
“Dispatch-assisted CPR is crucial to improving survival from sudden cardiac arrest here in Arizona and nationwide,” said Dr. Ben Bobrow, medical director at Arizona Department of Health Services.
“Without someone pushing hard and fast in the center of the victim’s chest, survival is very unlikely. It’s a similar concept for improving the system. We have to keep pushing hard and fast to get and evaluate the data from each and every one of our 911 centers to be able to continue to improve.”
A new partnership between the department and emergency dispatch centers across Arizona serves as a national model. The department sponsors training and works with dispatchers and call-takers to evaluate and improve this life-saving intervention.
Since the program started in 2011, Mesa has increased the rates of bystander CPR by 27 percent and reduced the time to first chest compression by 37 percent. A review of hospital records shows these actions have saved the lives of at least 13 people.
The training in Mesa inspired ADHS to organize two dispatch academies in December and April. Dispatchers from across the state learned the latest techniques for identifying cardiac arrest over the phone and starting CPR instructions as early as possible during the 911 calls.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets