TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona State University Flexible Display Center is showing off a new
computer display screen this week in Boston. It’s a
flexes like rubber.
“The thing that’s novel about it is that it’s form factor is about the same as
a thin sheet of plastic,” said center director Nick Colaneri.
The screen is 7.4 diagonal inches long. Layers no thicker than a human hair
give the screen the same definition that is found on many tablet
computers. But those layers are placed on a new space-age plastic
instead of glass. The center worked in conjunction with the military to
create the display.
“The army is interested, not so much in displays that can bend, as they are
in displays that are very thin and lightweight, and use less power, and that
don’t break when you bang them really hard,” said Colaneri.
While these displays are being made for the military, Colaneri said that a
commercial application is just around the corner. Companies such as Samsung
are already working on a similar display.
The screen still needs to hook into a computer to work, but in the future
that won’t be as much trouble.
“Things are starting to do more to miniaturize those [systems], and we’re
thinking about how we can make those flexible,” said Colaneri.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life