TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona State University Flexible Display Center is showing off a new
computer display screen this week in Boston. It’s a
flexes like rubber.
“The thing that’s novel about it is that it’s form factor is about the same as
a thin sheet of plastic,” said center director Nick Colaneri.
The screen is 7.4 diagonal inches long. Layers no thicker than a human hair
give the screen the same definition that is found on many tablet
computers. But those layers are placed on a new space-age plastic
instead of glass. The center worked in conjunction with the military to
create the display.
“The army is interested, not so much in displays that can bend, as they are
in displays that are very thin and lightweight, and use less power, and that
don’t break when you bang them really hard,” said Colaneri.
While these displays are being made for the military, Colaneri said that a
commercial application is just around the corner. Companies such as Samsung
are already working on a similar display.
The screen still needs to hook into a computer to work, but in the future
that won’t be as much trouble.
“Things are starting to do more to miniaturize those [systems], and we’re
thinking about how we can make those flexible,” said Colaneri.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again