PHOENIX — A judge has put the brakes on one of the three remaining
legal challenges to Arizona’s 2010 immigration law because lawyers who
brought that case missed several filing deadlines.
U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton ruled that action in the lawsuit by the League
of United Latin American Citizens will be put on hold until the other two
challenges are resolved.
The judge, however, stopped short of granting Gov. Jan Brewer’s request to
dismiss the case.
Bolton says the group’s reasons for missing the deadlines were inadequate
and that the missed deadlines were wasting judicial resources.
The two other challenges, including one that’s now before the U.S. Supreme
Court, remain alive.
A decision by the nation’s highest court is expected later this month.
Four other challenges were dismissed in the past.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon