PHOENIX — A judge has put the brakes on one of the three remaining
legal challenges to Arizona’s 2010 immigration law because lawyers who
brought that case missed several filing deadlines.
U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton ruled that action in the lawsuit by the League
of United Latin American Citizens will be put on hold until the other two
challenges are resolved.
The judge, however, stopped short of granting Gov. Jan Brewer’s request to
dismiss the case.
Bolton says the group’s reasons for missing the deadlines were inadequate
and that the missed deadlines were wasting judicial resources.
The two other challenges, including one that’s now before the U.S. Supreme
Court, remain alive.
A decision by the nation’s highest court is expected later this month.
Four other challenges were dismissed in the past.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments