PHOENIX — A judge has put the brakes on one of the three remaining
legal challenges to Arizona’s 2010 immigration law because lawyers who
brought that case missed several filing deadlines.
U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton ruled that action in the lawsuit by the League
of United Latin American Citizens will be put on hold until the other two
challenges are resolved.
The judge, however, stopped short of granting Gov. Jan Brewer’s request to
dismiss the case.
Bolton says the group’s reasons for missing the deadlines were inadequate
and that the missed deadlines were wasting judicial resources.
The two other challenges, including one that’s now before the U.S. Supreme
Court, remain alive.
A decision by the nation’s highest court is expected later this month.
Four other challenges were dismissed in the past.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains