PHOENIX — A judge has put the brakes on one of the three remaining
legal challenges to Arizona’s 2010 immigration law because lawyers who
brought that case missed several filing deadlines.
U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton ruled that action in the lawsuit by the League
of United Latin American Citizens will be put on hold until the other two
challenges are resolved.
The judge, however, stopped short of granting Gov. Jan Brewer’s request to
dismiss the case.
Bolton says the group’s reasons for missing the deadlines were inadequate
and that the missed deadlines were wasting judicial resources.
The two other challenges, including one that’s now before the U.S. Supreme
Court, remain alive.
A decision by the nation’s highest court is expected later this month.
Four other challenges were dismissed in the past.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl