PHOENIX — A 4-year-old Phoenix girl who was in the hospital after being beaten by her mother, has died.
Toryn Buckman died from injuries suffered Wednesday at the hands of her mother, Ashley Buckman, 22. Buckman was charged on multiple counts of child abuse and her live-in boyfriend James Edwards was charged with failure to protect a child or render aid.
The case will now be classified as a homicide, said Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson.
According to police, the little girl showed signs of previous of abuse, including bruises to her head and body and markings from scaldings.
Her mother admitted to having hit the child for soiling bed sheets on May 29.
The couple, who live in an apartment near Northern and 19th avenues, has a year-old child. The infant has been taken into custody by Child Protective Services.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night