PHOENIX — A 4-year-old Phoenix girl who was in the hospital after being beaten by her mother, has died.
Toryn Buckman died from injuries suffered Wednesday at the hands of her mother, Ashley Buckman, 22. Buckman was charged on multiple counts of child abuse and her live-in boyfriend James Edwards was charged with failure to protect a child or render aid.
The case will now be classified as a homicide, said Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson.
According to police, the little girl showed signs of previous of abuse, including bruises to her head and body and markings from scaldings.
Her mother admitted to having hit the child for soiling bed sheets on May 29.
The couple, who live in an apartment near Northern and 19th avenues, has a year-old child. The infant has been taken into custody by Child Protective Services.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon