PHOENIX — A 4-year-old Phoenix girl who was in the hospital after being beaten by her mother, has died.
Toryn Buckman died from injuries suffered Wednesday at the hands of her mother, Ashley Buckman, 22. Buckman was charged on multiple counts of child abuse and her live-in boyfriend James Edwards was charged with failure to protect a child or render aid.
The case will now be classified as a homicide, said Phoenix Police Sgt. Tommy Thompson.
According to police, the little girl showed signs of previous of abuse, including bruises to her head and body and markings from scaldings.
Her mother admitted to having hit the child for soiling bed sheets on May 29.
The couple, who live in an apartment near Northern and 19th avenues, has a year-old child. The infant has been taken into custody by Child Protective Services.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates