VIENNA (AP) — The Austrian prosecutor’s office is investigating an Islamic extremist on suspicion of murder after a video was posted showing him shooting a kneeling man to death in Syria.
The video surfaced last week. Prosecutors’ spokeswoman Nina Bussek said Friday her office considers it genuine.
Mohamed Mahmoud, the suspect, is already being sought by Austrian authorities on an international warrant on charges of belonging to a terrorist organization, and Bussek says her office has asked a court to add suspicion of murder to the warrant.
Mahmoud is considered one of the most important German-speaking advocates of Islamic extremism. He was born in Vienna but left Austria in 2013, first for Germany where he was part of the radical scene and then for Syria, via Turkey.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Community once home to Norman Rockwell scared after homicide
- Former mayor’s Wild West dream heads for courthouse showdown
- Rhode Island governor looks to pioneer free tuition for all
- Shyamalan’s ‘Split’ divides competition to rule box office
- Little is known on status of US student held in North Korea