The Arizona Fallen Firefighter Memorial received a big $125,000 check Wednesday.
“So far we’ve raised $1.35 million…our goal is $1.7 million,” said Rick DeGraw, chair of the Arizona Fallen Firefighter Memorial Commission. “And we will keep going until we meet that goal.”
The check was presented by Fry’s Food Stores making them the largest donor in the project, DeGraw said.
“It will honor 119 firefighters from all areas of firefighting for the lives they gave over the past 113 years,” DeGraw said. “We don’t have a statewide memorial in Arizona to fallen firefighters. This will be the first.”
The Arizona Fallen Firefighter Memorial will honor the 119 firefighters and emergency paramedics that have died in the line of duty since 1902.
“It is unbelievable to think about 119 families, that gave one of their loved ones, supporting our state,” DeGraw said. “The purpose of the memorial is not to mourn but to remember.”
The memorial will be located at the eastern edge of Wesley Bolin Plaza near the state Capitol. Construction started in January and is expected to be completed in October.
See what the memorial and get more details here.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Ruling: Crime areas, others’ actions don’t justify Arizona police frisks
- Arizona officials encouraging education to battle opioid epidemic
- Phoenix ranks eighth in nation in startup business activity
- Supervisors approve tentative $2.49B budget for Maricopa County
- Ringing in summer: Saturn returning to Arizona skies in May and June