MESA, Ariz. — A hauntingly unique Mesa restaurant announced Friday that it would be closing its doors for good.
Monsterland, located on 13th near Main and Center in downtown Mesa, is a horror-themed restaurant that sought to entertain guests along with feeding them.
Originally a haunted house, Monsterland was transformed into a restaurant in April 2012. The owner, Kevin Wynn, in a letter posted on Facebook, the owner said the restaurant was not built to handle the large crowds it attracted.
“We focused on good fresh prepared menu items, Arizona Craft beers, and great service. We struggled at our opening, but am proud to say we have received hundreds of positive reviews and compliments the past 9 months,” the letter read.
Wynn said he is looking for someone to take over the restaurant.
“I just realized that I’m done financially trying to carry this place,” said Wynn, adding that one of the hardest parts of closing the business was laying off the employees.
“We’re like family,” he said.
Unless a new owner is found, Monsterland will shut its doors for good on Jan. 19.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck