MESA, Ariz. — A hauntingly unique Mesa restaurant announced Friday that it would be closing its doors for good.
Monsterland, located on 13th near Main and Center in downtown Mesa, is a horror-themed restaurant that sought to entertain guests along with feeding them.
Originally a haunted house, Monsterland was transformed into a restaurant in April 2012. The owner, Kevin Wynn, in a letter posted on Facebook, the owner said the restaurant was not built to handle the large crowds it attracted.
“We focused on good fresh prepared menu items, Arizona Craft beers, and great service. We struggled at our opening, but am proud to say we have received hundreds of positive reviews and compliments the past 9 months,” the letter read.
Wynn said he is looking for someone to take over the restaurant.
“I just realized that I’m done financially trying to carry this place,” said Wynn, adding that one of the hardest parts of closing the business was laying off the employees.
“We’re like family,” he said.
Unless a new owner is found, Monsterland will shut its doors for good on Jan. 19.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees