A student protest against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe
Arpaio’s immigration policies outside of Trevor Browne High School lasted more
three hours and resulted in six arrests — including two juveniles.
All six admitted they were illegal immigrants and face an Immigration and Customs Enforcement court appearance or possible deportment.
“It’s up to ICE,” said Phoenix officer James Holmes. “We don’t know what’s going to happen with them next, or how soon it’s going to happen.”
But for starters anyone in the group over the age of 18 was processed at the Fourth Avenue Jail. Those younger then 18 were sent to the juvenile detention center, said Holmes.
Many of the protesters said they didn’t not fear jail time.
“We worry every day and it’s time for us to use that same
fear we have for the love of our families and say, ‘We’re
not going to be afraid anymore,'” one protester told KNPX-
Arpaio, in a statement released Wednesday, condemned the protestors and said he would press on with his style of enforcing immigration laws.
“If these students/demonstrators have a concern over the immigration laws they should bring those concerns to Congress, State Legislators, or the White House and not use this Sheriff as their poster boy,” Arpaio said in the statement.
MCSO confirmed that four of the people arrested were in the country illegally. Their mugshots are below.
The rally forced closure of 75th Avenue from Thomas Road to Campbell Avenue.
Chants of “Undocumented!, Unafraid!” could be heard from the
crowd of more than 100, mostly students with a few adults.
The protesters directed a few of their chants at the sheriff.
“We’re here to stay — Joe Arpaio is not going to scare us anymore,” said Daniela Cruz, one of those arrested.
Other chants included: “Arpaio we’re here, we’re undocumented and we have no
fear;” “Up, up with
education; down, down with deportation;” “Arpaio we’re
here. Our community has no fear;” and “No justice, no
peace. No racist police.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns