A student protest against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe
Arpaio’s immigration policies outside of Trevor Browne High School lasted more
three hours and resulted in six arrests — including two juveniles.
All six admitted they were illegal immigrants and face an Immigration and Customs Enforcement court appearance or possible deportment.
“It’s up to ICE,” said Phoenix officer James Holmes. “We don’t know what’s going to happen with them next, or how soon it’s going to happen.”
But for starters anyone in the group over the age of 18 was processed at the Fourth Avenue Jail. Those younger then 18 were sent to the juvenile detention center, said Holmes.
Many of the protesters said they didn’t not fear jail time.
“We worry every day and it’s time for us to use that same
fear we have for the love of our families and say, ‘We’re
not going to be afraid anymore,'” one protester told KNPX-
Arpaio, in a statement released Wednesday, condemned the protestors and said he would press on with his style of enforcing immigration laws.
“If these students/demonstrators have a concern over the immigration laws they should bring those concerns to Congress, State Legislators, or the White House and not use this Sheriff as their poster boy,” Arpaio said in the statement.
MCSO confirmed that four of the people arrested were in the country illegally. Their mugshots are below.
The rally forced closure of 75th Avenue from Thomas Road to Campbell Avenue.
Chants of “Undocumented!, Unafraid!” could be heard from the
crowd of more than 100, mostly students with a few adults.
The protesters directed a few of their chants at the sheriff.
“We’re here to stay — Joe Arpaio is not going to scare us anymore,” said Daniela Cruz, one of those arrested.
Other chants included: “Arpaio we’re here, we’re undocumented and we have no
fear;” “Up, up with
education; down, down with deportation;” “Arpaio we’re
here. Our community has no fear;” and “No justice, no
peace. No racist police.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development