A student protest against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe
Arpaio’s immigration policies outside of Trevor Browne High School lasted more
three hours and resulted in six arrests — including two juveniles.
All six admitted they were illegal immigrants and face an Immigration and Customs Enforcement court appearance or possible deportment.
“It’s up to ICE,” said Phoenix officer James Holmes. “We don’t know what’s going to happen with them next, or how soon it’s going to happen.”
But for starters anyone in the group over the age of 18 was processed at the Fourth Avenue Jail. Those younger then 18 were sent to the juvenile detention center, said Holmes.
Many of the protesters said they didn’t not fear jail time.
“We worry every day and it’s time for us to use that same
fear we have for the love of our families and say, ‘We’re
not going to be afraid anymore,'” one protester told KNPX-
Arpaio, in a statement released Wednesday, condemned the protestors and said he would press on with his style of enforcing immigration laws.
“If these students/demonstrators have a concern over the immigration laws they should bring those concerns to Congress, State Legislators, or the White House and not use this Sheriff as their poster boy,” Arpaio said in the statement.
MCSO confirmed that four of the people arrested were in the country illegally. Their mugshots are below.
The rally forced closure of 75th Avenue from Thomas Road to Campbell Avenue.
Chants of “Undocumented!, Unafraid!” could be heard from the
crowd of more than 100, mostly students with a few adults.
The protesters directed a few of their chants at the sheriff.
“We’re here to stay — Joe Arpaio is not going to scare us anymore,” said Daniela Cruz, one of those arrested.
Other chants included: “Arpaio we’re here, we’re undocumented and we have no
fear;” “Up, up with
education; down, down with deportation;” “Arpaio we’re
here. Our community has no fear;” and “No justice, no
peace. No racist police.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets