BOISE, Idaho (AP) – An Idaho coroner says kidnapping suspect James Lee DiMaggio died after being hit by six gunshots fired by FBI agents during a rescue in the wilderness this summer.
Valley County Coroner Nathan Hess confirmed Tuesday that the multiple gunshot wounds to DiMaggio’s head, chest and extremities were the cause of death of the 40-year-old California man.
DiMaggio died Aug. 10 after his campsite was spotted in the vast Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. He became the focus of a massive manhunt for allegedly abducting 16-year-old Hannah Anderson and killing her brother Ethan and her mother Christina at DiMaggio’s home about 65 miles east of San Diego. Hannah Anderson was rescued.
The final autopsy is pending a toxicology report. The death has also been classified as a homicide.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development