Share this story...
Massive search underway for teens who set out for Bahamas
Latest News

Massive search underway for teens who set out for Bahamas

This combination made from photos provided by the U.S. Coast Guard shows Perry Cohen, left, and Austin Stephanos, both 14 years old. Cohen and Stephanos were last seen Friday afternoon, July 24, 2015, in the Jupiter, Fla. area buying fuel for their 19-foot boat before embarking on a fishing trip. (U.S. Coast Guard via AP)

TEQUESTA, Fla. (AP) — The Coast Guard scoured the seas off Florida and friends combed the shoreline Monday for any sign of two teenage fishermen, described as experienced boaters, who went missing three days earlier after setting out for the Bahamas on a stormy afternoon.

What began as a teenage summer adventure — a chaperone-free getaway on the high seas — took an ominous turn after the 19-foot boat that carried Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos was found capsized and days of searches proved fruitless. But authorities and the boys’ families held out hope, saying the teens were consummate seamen and a rescue is still possible.

“We operate with the highest level of optimism,” Coast Guard Petty Officer Steve Lehmann said at a news conference Monday, though he declined to say how long the search would go on beyond “the time being.”

Crews studied ocean currents and zeroed in on an area off Jacksonville as the most likely position for the boys Monday. Meanwhile, the teens’ families and a famous neighbor — NFL Hall of Famer Joe Namath — pledged to walk the beaches beginning in their hometown of Tequesta in hopes of finding clues.

“We need every clue and we need everyone’s help,” said Nick Korniloff, the stepfather of Perry.

The boys were last seen Friday afternoon buying $110 worth of fuel near Jupiter. Officials said they departed around 1:30 p.m. Weather reports for Friday say storms reached the Jupiter-Tequesta area around 4 p.m., and thunderstorms with heavy rains were expected there until sunset.

Their vessel was found Sunday off Ponce Inlet, more than 180 miles north of where the boys began their journey. Though the boat was overturned it did not appear damaged. No foul play was suspected.

The Coast Guard said its search had covered an area the size of Indiana by helicopter, boat and airplane, and local authorities and the USS Carney also joined the efforts to locate the boys. The families of the teens are offering $100,000 reward in the search.

The teens were believed to have been heading toward the Bahamas, about 75 miles southeast of Tequesta.

“It’s a lot of water out there,” Namath said. “We just keep on looking till we get an answer.”

Austin’s mother, Carly Black, told WPBF she never would “bat an eye” at the boys’ ability on the seas.

“This isn’t something that he’s new at,” she said. “I think they feel better on the boat than they do on land.”

Korniloff said he was focused on finding the boys and wouldn’t comment on questions about whether 14-year-olds should be allowed to venture so far alone. He said the boys had been “raised on the water” and were taught how to navigate safely.

“If you put two pretty girls in front of them and two fishing rods, they’d grab the fishing rods first,” the stepfather said.

Still, Lehmann said boaters of any age and experience level could encounter danger.

“Regardless of how experienced you are in the water, things can happen,” he said. “Things befall even the most surefooted of mariners.”

___

Sedensky reported from West Palm Beach, Florida.

___

Information from: The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post, http://www.pbpost.com

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.