NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — Gillian Welch, Dawes, Robyn Hitchcock and others closed out the Newport Folk Festival with a celebration of Bob Dylan and the moment he went electric there 50 years ago.
The lineup was secret until the musicians took the stage Sunday.
Al Kooper, who performed on July 25, 1965, with Dylan, was among those who played. Others included David Rawlings, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Hozier.
Some of the musicians played the guitar Dylan used in his 1965 performance. The owner of the Indianapolis Colts paid nearly $1 million for it in 2013 and loaned it to the festival for the occasion.
Organizers said Dylan had been invited.
James Taylor played a surprise set on Saturday, while My Morning Jacket played unannounced on Friday, before backing Roger Waters.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Lost Lake Festival to feature life-sized games like pool, foosball
- Study shows what music Arizona listens to the most
- Sugar Ray’s Mark McGrath to play free concert in downtown Phoenix
- John Mayer pays tribute to Glen Campbell with ‘Gentle on My Mind’
- This dog absolutely demands to watch the ‘Despacito’ music video